When Adultery Comes Knocking on Your Door
by David Southworth
This was the topic of a recent lesson in our Courageous men’s small group. A very revealing discussion on the devastating effects of adultery in marriage ensued. Most persons who fall into adultery do not originally set out to do so. Their marriages are not lost in a day. The illicit relationship begins innocently, with small compromises that eventually become tolerated over time. We learned in that group that an adulterous affair involves much more than two selfish people.
“The one who commits adultery with a woman is lacking sense; he who would destroy himself does it. Wounds and disgrace he will find, and his reproach will not be blotted out.” Proverbs 6:32-33.
Consider these consequences of a man who commits adultery:
1. Our Lord is grieved.
2. The Gospel of Christ is disgraced.
3. I could destroy my reputation and that of my family.
4. I would break my spouse’s heart, my children’s hearts, my parents’ hearts, and my friend’s hearts.
5. I could lose my marriage, my job, and many other priceless possessions.
6. I would have to live with a lot of guilt and shame.
7. I could force God’s judgment on me, having to think about what I would say to God.
8. I would bring shame to my family.
9. I could discredit my future effectiveness as a leader in the community.
10. I could possibly bring a painful STD into my life and my spouse’s life.
Are any of these consequences worth a night of sexual excitement?!?!? Think about it when adultery comes knocking on your door.
Taken from The Resolution for Men by Stephen & Alex Kendrick